Christmas was very low-key in Cairo, probably explained by the lack of Christmas. Egyptian Christians are Coptics, and their Christmas is January 7, a time at which I will be back in Damascus. Oops, missed Christmas.
Christmas Eve we went to an American's apartment for Christmas dinner, which was a potluck notably including Jamaican food. It had been since Pakistan since I have tasted anything spicy, so I ate enough for three non-gluttonous people. Then, per tradition, we danced til early morning at Club Latex.
The next day Rachel and I went to the pyramids, which were surprisingly low-key. Yes, two men did try to hop into our taxi on the way and get us on camels, but I was also mistaken for Lebanese. Twice. I guess the pyramids aren't a big Christmas destination, but the tourists there were a nice mix: Europeans and Americans yes, but also sub-Saharan African, Turkish, and honeymooning Indian couples among them.
Dinner was sushi followed by shisha at Seqouia, the posh place to see and be seen, on the north side of Zumalek, on the banks of the Nile. Prices have gone up since last being here, but it was Christmas so we splurged. Plus, the closest sushi in Damascus is in Beirut. Apparently Cairo is in the midst of a sushi craze: even Latex the nightclub had sushi.
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment