Something very strange has been happening the past week: harrassment, on an unprecedented level.
When comparing Damascus and Cairo previously, I had always hit upon what to me, after traffic, was the most obvious difference: the fellas. I had had few problems with the men of Damascus, and they seemed to have no problem with me. Hell, I walked around in a skirt higher than knee length with only a few hungry-eyed stares as a response.
Then, last week, I had a man follow me off the the servees (micro) when I went to Jerimana. He walked a pace behind me, whispering in a low voice, "ansiya... instinni, bas su'al" (miss, wait, just a question). I ignored him and he went away quickly. The next day, in another servees, just as I was about to get off a man handed me his business card. "Sho hada?" I asked, confused, what is this? He just said for you, call me, and left. Okay, so that one's not so bad.
Then, Saturday, I was on my way to Sitt Zeinab to teach English at 10am. At the beginning of the trip, when I handed my change to the man next to me to pass up, his hand paused on mine for what seemed a bit more than necessary for the passing of change. No, I thought, I'm just being paranoid.
Once we were well on our way, he turned to talk to me in low, sweet tones. "sho ismik? mineen inti?" His intentions clear, I tried to ignore him but he kept trying to convince me to go to a restaurant or some shit. Then he put his hand on my leg. I jumped like it was made of fire and told him don't touch me! He said sorry and continued. The man next to him got off the servees and Romeo didn't move over, instead staying umcomfortably close. He talked and snapped his fingers to get my attention, touching my arm and leg. "La tilmasni! sho bedak?" He said sorry again, then leaned in close and asked "kum fuloos?" (How much money?). This is strange for several reasons, first amoung them that nobody ever says this in Syria. 'edeesh masari is the Syrian way to ask this. They say kum fuloos in Egypt and maybe other places. Second, I am obviously not a whore. It is winter, and I am wearing a large jacket over all my clothes, nothing provocative about it. It is also 10am - there's a reason the euphanism is "ladies of the night." Prostitutes generally also don't play hard to get. I yelled at him again not to touch me, and people in the servees turned to look. People turned to look, but it was my stop so I just got off.
What is the reason for this sudden upsurge in harrassment? Maybe, with the upcoming hajj, soon-to-be-hajjis are trying to get their sin in before the forgiveness. It's just strange that after 3 months with so little, dudes be hitting on me tons now. I swear I'm not any hotter than last week. At least I'm getting hit on in Arabic.
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment