Saturday, December 22, 2007

Egypt Welcomes Me Back

In Damacus, Eid is a rather sedated affair. There are sheep slaughtered in the street, but nothing crazy goes on. Cairo appears to be different.

Rachel and I rolled up into Cairo last night, and it being her first time in the city, we decided to walk around a bit. The streets were full of people, being Eid, and for the most part we just got a few guys saying shit to us, nothing big. We walked over the Nile where tons of brides and grooms were taking pictures with the river and skyline in the background.

Then we were on Sharia Talat Harb in Downtown, not too far from the hotel, just looking for a little cafe to grab a shisha or a tea. The street was full of mostly men, but there were women too. I mean, crazy full of tons of men.

Packs of guys started following us and saying in Arabic "are you Egyptian or foreign? just say something so we know" and then switching to English. It's best to ignore, but then some guy (kid, really, like fucking 19 at the most) grabbed Rachel's ass as he ran by. Then her tit got grabbed, then my ass, all by different dudes. The last one I chased down the street yelling "'aml eh? Haram alek la tilmasni!" Where's a cop when you need one? I yelled at them to leave us alone in Arabic. They followed. It was really fucking frustrating and Rachel said "I don't see how you did this for 5 months." I swear, it really wasn't like this every day, it's just because of Eid.

So hey, welcome back to Cairo!

No comments: