Monday, June 16, 2008

Red Wings Won the Stanley Cup!

On June 4th. And I totally missed it. Growing up, the Detroit Red Wings were my second-most beloved team, right behind the Michigan State Spartans. Luckily they rewarded my family's devotion with several Stanley Cups, the last one when I was in highschool.

I seriously live on the moon. Why has no one told me about this? My dad emailed me with my brothers' graduation pics, but no hockey news. My mother let me know when Hillary dropped out, as if that wasn't on the news here, but no hockey news. Why did my dad and I spend yesterday talking about the Netherlands-France game in the Eurocup, but for the last several months no one mentioned the Red Wings were in the playoffs and then WON THE FREAKIN' STANLEY CUP?

I realize I could have gone online and followed this myself, but hockey is one of those things that slips that mind when one leaves Michigan for the Arab World. When I was laboring over some Arabic poetry from the Middle Ages, hockey didn't occur to me, nor when I was writing materials for UNFPA on the UN Syria website. This is why people have parents and friends from highschool: to let them know about hockey.

No comments: