Thursday night I was attacked. I was pretty tired from my week of pre-7am rising, and wanted to clear my head, so I went for a walk. While the main streets in Jerimana are bustling at almost all hours, you don't have to walk too far to hit farms and a little desolation. I needed to get away from noise and people for a bit. I walked this way before at 11pm with some friends, including guys. It wasn't yet 8:30 pm when I left home.
I was walking along a road near a field. There are small farms and the occaisonal apartment building on this road, with the lights of Jerimana not far behind me. While not busy, there were cars, bikes, and other walkers passing by in frequent intervals. I walked next to a pile of dirt and a young man, who had been crouched behind it, started walking very quickly towards me, when a car turned the corner and man's pace relaxed. I yelled at him, "What are you doing? What was that?" and kept walking, thinking maybe I had misinterpreted the situation. A second car, behind the first, passed and the man came running at me. I started yelling at him to leave me alone, and when he got near hit him with my bag and tried to aim for his face with my other hand. He tried to kiss me, and though I managed to prevent that, I got humped as he tried to grope things, when the headlights of a car came up the road. He ran, grabbing his bike that he had hidden alongside the road.
I flagged down the car, a taxi with a man sitting next to the driver. Clearly shaken and freaked out, I yelled that the guy on the bike attacked me.
"Why are you walking by yourself?"
I said I was going to a friends house, but thinking "Why does that fucking matter?" They invited me to get in the car and I thought they would try to catch up with bikeattacker, but instead they just questioned me why I was out by myself, where I lived, and what the guy had taken from me. "Did he take your wallet? your bag?"
"He didn't take anything, he attacked me."
"But he didn't take anything?"
"No, he attacked me."
The passenger muttered "harassement," as though I were silly to get so worked up over it. I got out of the car at the beginning of the road, where the streets were bustling.
I felt like maybe I shouldn't have been walking alone. It's strange that the first time I go walking by myself in a non busy area I get attacked. Everyone likes to talk about how safe Syria is, and not that my one little incident negates the true general low incidence of crime and especially violent crime, but for all the years I've lived in the horribly unsafe and crimeridden (according to popular opinion) States nothing like that has ever happened to me. Running through much more desolate areas of Michigan pre-dawn or after nightfall in sportsbra and shorts, walking home from the subway to my apartments in Brooklyn and Long Island City at 3am: nothing.
Friday afternoon I had some friends over and some one made the whole Syria is completely safe argument, to which I told what happened the night before. The guys were flabbergasted, saying that was a weird thing that hardly ever happens. They also could not believe that the men in the car had reacted like that, saying that most Syrian guys would chase the guy down. "Syrians love to be heroes." It was suggested that I return to the same spot and walk around as bait, while two of my guyfriends hide in the bushes so they can get anyone who messes with me.
The ladies present refuted the idea that this shit is rare, with examples. Not that some one full on attacking is common, but harrassment (not meaning verbal. Verbal harrassment or catcalling is talteesh, while if its physical it is taharrosh)
I was heartened though, when I pointed out that it had only been 9pm and Tariq said, "That doesn't matter. You should be able to walk around at 2am naked without being attacked."
I don't mean this post to reinforce the stereotype that Arab men are sex-starved maniacs. Obviously the vast majority of men do not attempt to hump women on the street. But there there is a lack of awareness about harrassment among guys. When one of my friends refused to believe that this kind of stuff happens more than "hardly ever" he said he'd never heard of such an incidence before tonight. Really? How often do you hang out with girls and how often would they be comfortable talking about it to you? He then cast a critical eye on several of Manar's anecdotes, because she said this had happened to her cousin, that to her friend. "Syrians exaggerate. A guy says he saw a hat with 4 colors and after a month the hat had 200 colors." He also said it was women's fault for not making a bigger scene when something like this happens.
I'm just feeling very pissed off about the incident.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Terribly sorry to hear about this. From the responses you mention, you can see the societal bias against women. God forbid your attacker have been successful in taking what he wanted, the responses would probably have been similar, though more gentle. A young lady I know who is studying in Egypt suffered a similar attack and the Egyptians she lives with apparently told her that she should have been with a male if she did not want to "invite" such a violation.
regardless of the social interpretations, gender concepts and cultural expectations, your rights were violated and your sense of personal security damaged. even if you were the only one in all of syria that had experienced this you deserve more support and compassion. you ought to be pissed with the guy that assaulted you and everyone that failed to respond accordingly.
Orientalista,
I spent summers in Damascus from 2002 through 2006, and my heart sank for you when I read the first sentence of your post. I've been groped too, multiple times, in Shaalan, Abou Roumaneh, Hadiqat Jahez, and Mezzeh. While the particular contexts varied, they all share similar characteristics with your story:
I was in an uncrowded area, often a side street. It was an "off-hour" of day: either early mid-morning (8-10) or evening (7-9); or it was on a Friday. ("That's because the nice men are all at the mosque or with their families," my friends told me.) And because it was uncrowded and an off time of day, I was blissfully walking along, enjoying being out and about in the city I love.
And one final similarity: very few of my Syrian guy friends believed it 1) happened in the way I described and 2) was at all representative of Syria.
I love Damascus - its my favorite city in the region. But it has some real problems when it comes to men's behavior, and the question your rescuers asked - why were you out walking by yourself? - demonstrates one of them.
Post a Comment