I usually like this blog, because they write some posts on international reproductive health, but I was not a big fan of this recent post from Reproductive Health Reality Check:
If a pharmacist refused to fill out a Viagra prescription for a black man he saw walking around with his white wife, we would have no problem seeing this behavior as bigotry, even if said pharmacist claimed that Jesus told him to do it. But if a pharmacist refuses to sell birth control pills to a woman who isn't wearing a wedding band, somehow that's legitimate religious expression, even though his rights are extending well past her nose. If Muslim pharmacists started refusing to fill out prescriptions for Christians because those Christians don't share their beliefs, we would have no problem seeing that the religious freedom pinched was that of the customer's, not the pharmacists.Because you know that's a part of Islam: refusing to give medicine to Christians. What? Sorry, where did you pull that out of?
Earlier post from the same blog:
If, however, we're going to let everyone's political beliefs or religious enthusiasms govern our important life decisions, then we must allow that any political or religious convictions can hold sway. In this case, why not permit a Muslim fundamentalist pharmacist to simply put up a sign politely explaining that his religious beliefs require him to deny a woman's prescription for any medication? No doubt Aryan pharmacists have a belief system too. Why should they be forced to violate their dearly held beliefs and serve blacks?
Because Muslims hate women? I think I remember hearing that sura, in which antibiotics and allergy medication are denied to women. It's a core religious conviction in Islam.
From Feministe:
What happens if next, pharmacists or doctors refuse to serve non-Christians? Or if it comes back to bite them in the ass when, say, a conservative male Muslim paramedic refuses to touch women? Or if religious doctors and pharmacists decide that STDs are appropriate punishments for the sexually active and refuse to fill prescriptions for treatment medicine? Or if a paramedic or doctor refuses to deliver the baby of an unmarried woman?
Cause Muslim men never touch women, and Muslim doctors don't perform thousands of procedures everyday on women. If any man did have qualms about touching women, I doubt he would become a paramedic, which I think is the point of this post: don't become a pharmacist if you can't do the freaking job.
I understand why Muslims are getting thrown into the mix, alongside Aryans (do they mean Iranians and northern Indians?) and racists. It's an attempt to expose the hypocrisy of these right-wing movements, that are all for respecting religion as long as that religion is Christianity. But claiming Muslims would deny medicine to Chrisitans or to women, is smearing Muslims based on common stereotypes:
1) that Muslims hate Christians
2) that Muslims hate women, I mean, they must since they veil them and don't let them drive and don't let them get an education and... 60 other misconceptions people have about Muslim women.
There are other analogies that could be made, such as an orthodox Jew refusing to give out condoms (according to some Talmudic interpretations, birth control is allowed for women but not for men, so pill in, condom out), but of course Jews just aren't as scary as Muslims.
Later in the Feministe post, I think they did a better job with analogy:
Wingers were all up in arms about the Somali women who wanted to wear more traditional clothing to work (even though they were still doing their jobs) and the Muslim cab drivers who wouldn’t pick up passengers who had alcohol on them, but if it’s fundamentalist Christianity that’s an excuse for not doing what you were hired to do, and if it’s women you’re refusing to help, then it’s a-ok.
This exposes the hypocrisy of the right, eager to defend the right of Christians lock-step with their views to exercise their religious views, but quick to lambast Muslims for the same. And this features actual events where Muslims felt that some aspect of their job and their beliefs were at odds, not random hypothetical that accuse Muslims of hating Christians and women. When, from personal experience, I know many who are very fond of both, especially the combination. Oohh!
3 comments:
"Cause Muslim men never touch women, and Muslim doctors don't perform thousands of procedures everyday on women. If any man did have qualms about touching women, I doubt he would become a paramedic, which I think is the point of this post: don't become a pharmacist if you can't do the freaking job."
I think you're misinterpreting the post. The point isn't that "Muslims are like Christian fundamentalists." It was "Religious fundamentalists of all stripes can cause serious problems if we except them from the requirements of their jobs." I used the example of Islam because it's relatively comparable to Christianity in size and variance of belief -- that is, there are some fundies and lots of moderates. So just as I wasn't saying that ALL Christians refuse to fill birth control pills, I also wasn't saying that ALL Muslim men refuse to touch women. I was saying that people whose religious beliefs prevent them from doing their jobs shouldn't take those particular jobs, and that if Christian fundamentalists open the door to allowing religion as an excuse for anything, they need to realize that they're also opening the door to people of other fundamentalist belief systems discriminating against them.
As I identified, I think you made this point better when you pointed to actual examples of Muslims who have felt their faith and some part of their job were at odds. Obviously ALL Christians aren't refusing to fill bc scrips, but SOME are - while I don't know of any case where a Muslim paramedic refused to touch a lady. The problem with this hypothetical is it plays into stereotypes of Muslims.
I understand the point you (and the other blog) are making, but found it interesting that all three posts brought up the spectre of Islam to make that point.
I know you're not actually saying "Muslims are like Christians Fundamentalists," but I was making a point about how Muslims are being used as an analogy in the debate. And titles were never my strong suit.
Thanks for the information on pharmacists. Those are some very interesting points, I don't think I would have ever compared pharmacists and Muslims without this post.
We recently wrote an article on pharmacists at Brain Blogger. Pharmacists are self proclaimed "drug experts" and for good reason -- they have a Doctor of Pharmacy degree that took fours years to earn and in the process studied a lot of different drugs. But should that give them the right to give out a prescription? Could they accurately identify and treat a disease?
We would like to read your comments on our article. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Kelly
Post a Comment