Kivanç Tatlitug is the most attractive man on the entire planet. I should've studied Turkish, at least so I could just pronounce his name.
The problem is its on daily at 10, right during matches. I can watch a match and then rush home after work to catch the 5pm replaying the next day. Truth be told, while I am a fan of football my viewing is along the same lines: though I'm for the Nederlands (having been a fan since living there for a bit as a kid en ik kan nog steeds een beetje nederlands spreken) it becomes "The Italians are playing? Fuck the Dutch!"
Noor's been winning most nights as I can just turn on my TV, while watching a match means going over to a friends house who's bought the al-jazeera special sports channels.
And compared to a draw at zero, Noor is very exciting: Noor is married to Mohanet (pictured), who just discovered that his previous lover didn't die in a car accident years ago but instead is paralyzed AND has a toddler who is his son. Noor just found out and left, with her grandmother who is living in the same house with Noor, Mohanet, and Mohanet's sister, mother, and grandfather, but walking out the door Noor's grandmother had a stroke so Noor couldn't leave and instead she and Mohanet are pretending everything's ok for the grandmother's sake but really Noor wants a divorce. Meanwhile, Mohanet's Aunt remarried secretly after divorcing her douche husband Tariq but her new husband's daughter won't accept her. And there's something about drugs and newspapers.
Watching the episode where Noor has her suspicions after finding out Mohanet wasn't at work when he said he was (instead he was playing with his newly discovered son and sharing shy glances with his wheelchair bound former sweetheart) with roommate Michelle, some friends and their mother, the mother jokingly said, "He should just marry the other one too! Problem solved!"
Her daughter was shocked, "They're Muslim?" The characters don't come across as terribly pious with their penchant for unwinding with some booze in the grandfather's study, but I'm not one to judge.
"Of course they are; they're Turkish."
"But who could share him (Mohanet)?"
"God I know," I added "impossible!"
We all pretty much put in our thoughts that another wife would be unbearable, the son said he thought no one would be able to share a spouse, to which the mom reminded us she is the second wife of a Lebanese man. "I know he's with the other woman, so what?"
Then it was awkwardly silent and we concentrated on Noor's distraught wanderings through the streets of Istanbul.
1 comment:
And, I thought Spanish soap operas were confusing; this is a whole new level of confusion.
Post a Comment