Thursday, April 10, 2008

What do You Think About Islam?

I have been occaisonally asked this question by two broad groups of people: Muslims in the Middle East, and non-Muslims in America.

The question always catches me off guard coming from the former group. It's not an everyday occurance, somewhere around 1/100 of how often I'm asked my marital status. I'll meet some one new, we'll chat, and then, working to maintain the causual ambience, they will ask what I think about Islam. The question is dropped in apropos: "Your Arabic isn't bad. What do you think about Islam?" My answers to this are always awkward. "Oh, Islam? It's... cool." Sometimes the question is worded in such a way to imply that I, as an American, may have a problem with Islam. "Oh no, I don't have any problem with Islam. It's... cool. I like the sweets at Eid."

C'mon, what does one answer to this? "What do you think about Baptists?" Um, I don't really. "What do you think about Hindus?" That they are... fine... and stuff? The question is weird to me because, like "Weren't you expecting us all to be terrorists, what with the lies of your media?" I thought my existance in the country would preclude an affirmative answer. "Thanks for asking. Islam actually scares the shit out of me." I mean, that's why I live here. For the thrill.

Once I've answered that I have no problems with Islam, and that all religions are pretty much the same, the other person is usually happy to have met an unbrainwashed American. Sometimes, they dig to find out what I know about Islam, which is quite a bit, surprising them.

With the second group, non-Muslims in America, the question is usually delivered in a lowered voice, conspiratorally. You can tell me. I got this after going back from Egypt. I considered it the follow up to the warnings that preceded my going to Egypt: Be careful, you know, there's a lot of Muslims there.

I tell these people that Islam is... fine. People are normal. They do their shit. I knew I'd stayed up too late hearing the 4am-ish call to prayer. I don't really know what this group is expecting, maybe something along the lines of "IT'S CRAZY!" Or maybe they really are just curious to hear "what it's like" from someone who has been in a Muslim country.

I'd like to see what would happen if the first group asked the second.

No comments: