Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Racism in America, Outside of It

I was finishing up an English lesson in Sitt Zeinab on Sunday, when an Iraqi dude came into the class and asked me for help. His family found out they had been granted refugee status in America that morning, and they would be moving to Chicago Tuesday (today). The government sets them up with an apartment and English classes for a set period. He was asking if I knew anyone in Chicago that could help him, and if he could get my email just to use as a resource on America. This is the third family from the school that have been granted refugee status. The other two went to Atlanta.

Then the guy asked if he would be safe in Chicago. "Of course!" I said. "It's a nice city, cold in winter, but nice. You have to be careful, but it's not that dangerous."

"But what about the blacks?"

"What?"

"Isn't there a war between the blacks and the whites?"

This is always awkward. Everyone has seen "Crash," in addition to every other movie that addresses race in America. The family I used to live with was surprised when I said something that hinted my non-hatred toward blacks. "But don't most the whites hate the blacks? We saw Crash." Or talking to my friends, when I objected to a conversation in which two participants expressed opposite preferences - one for black chicks and the other for white chicks. "What's wrong with that?"

"You're talking about people like ice cream flavors."

"So? I don't think black women are that attractive. He does. I don't hate blacks. I'm not racist, like Americans."

"We're not all racist!"

"Why are the criminals in TV shows and movies always black?"

"..."

Fuck. While racism obviously exists in America, it isn't THAT bad. Though I'm speaking from a position of white privilege, it's not as if everyone is a frothing racist. I mean, at least there's a committment to recoil at the surface of racism, such as expressing sexual preferences for different races or making "Asian eyes". I struggle with trying to convey racism in America. How, while far from perfect, it's better than it was. How it's not "Crash", but it's not a rainbow of races holding hands and singing. How some films like to delve into racism because it does exist, but that doesn't mean most of White America is on their porches with guns. It's... complicated.

I told the Iraqi dude not to worry about the race war.

"Do the whites hate Arabs? too"

"No, not really. You'll be fine."

1 comment:

Baharat said...

Orientalista! Love, love, love your blog. - Yemenista