Friday, February 15, 2008

Randeep Is Not Having That Great of a Time in Syria

I was excited all week for the visit of my friend Randeep, who was to arrive Thursday. I had several things planned: of course all the du rigor old-city tourist stops, a night or two out, Sitt Zeine, a day trip to Maloula, and more. But these plans have fallen through. Ya maskeen Randeep and his friend are still at the airport, waiting.

While usually very possible to buy a visa at the airport, particularly if there is no Syrian embassy in your country (i.e, Singapore), Randeep and his friend found themselves unable to do that, and futhermore unable to be deported until Saturday. I went today, but wasn't allowed to even see him, or talk to anyone important as Friday is the weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to go to Hijra wa Jowazat and hopefully get him either in or out of the country. In Sha Allah. Two days in an airport is hell.

No comments: