Mazen, the oldest son of Abu and Um Mazen (figures), who lives in Lattakia, is now a father. His wife gave birth to a little girl, named Aml (hope) after her grandmother (Um Mazen), tipping the scales at 3.5 kilo yesterday. I broke the no-sweets Lenten fast in order to eat a celebratory chocolate passed around by Um Mazen. Iyad is now an "3am" (paternal uncle). He told me this, and I was surprised, saying, aren't you already an uncle? Your sister has a bunch of boys, but then was reminded that yes, he had been a "khal" (maternal uncle), but now is also an 3am. I was shamed for forgetting that paternal and maternal uncles are very different things.
Iyad told me the news while Um and Abu Mazen were visiting the neighbors, and we exchanged the usual formalities (mabrouk! wallah yubarrak fiki! alf mabrouk!) and he politely expressed a wish that my future pregnancies will also be a success, to which I laughed and reiterated (from previous discussions) my desire to adopt. He and his two friends present were, as always, surprised and grilled me on this. The family has told me several times that it is impossible to love an adopted child like a "real" child. I only say I want to adopt as I feel at least this is somewhat more appropriate than being all, "I don't want no kids! Ewwwwww!".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment