In trying to avoid a blow-up like in Egypt, where koshari and ta'amiya somehow added 20 pounds to my frame, I have joined a gym. Syria is much, much more perilous, being a land of delicious food and especially the sweets. Shami sweets are famous, renowned around the world. I love them so freaking hard.
When the weather was nice, I would walk the 40-50 minutes from my house to the university, but once that temperature dropped and getting out of bed in the morning became harder than labor, I took the micro. So I joined a gym 10 minutes from home walking a month ago. For $24/month, I can go to the gym 3 times a week (it's more if I want to go everyday and I'm not ready for that level of commitment yet). The gym is two rooms: a crapload of weights, 3 treadmills, 3 elipticals, a recumbent bike (blaugh). A little pricy, but what kept me from joining at a cheaper ones is Ladies' Hours.
Ladies' Hours at almost all gyms are from 10-12, when I have class. The thinking is that most ladies would like to work out without the eyes of men on them, and many would, but unfortunately the thinking also is that they have nowhere to be during the day. I have class.
More expensive gyms mix it up. Mine has ladies' hours from 10-12, but ladies are welcome at any other time as well. There are no only-fellas hours. Usually when I go there's one or two other women working out, muhijaba and non. The only problem is that there is only one changing room, meaning men have to wait while I shower and I have to wait while they change.
There is a crazy swanky gym called Nadi Barada. It even has a freaking indoor pool. But it's $50 a month and from what I've heard, quite a "scene". I don't really want to just rub (sweaty) elbows with the elite.
My gym works well enough. I think I'll go for another month. I really would like to join a gym where I could a class in kickboxing or something fun though. Take out some of the pent-up aggression from frustrating "place of women in society" chats with the family.
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
If you swim 3 x week I will pay for 4 months at the gym with the pool.
Post a Comment