Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Nour Update!

Things are going crazy on Nour, the Turkish muselel dubbed into Syrian Arabic. Nour and the diabolical Abdeen, who is plotting to win Nour's heart from her gorgeous husband Mohannad, go to Paris for business. While Abdeen has been a douche for a while, we were finally able to see the depths of his depravity when Mohannad's family's factory caught on fire - a fire set by Abdeen's henchmen! People died and were injured, but of course not the members of the central family, except for Mohannad's sister who sustained a bandaid on her cheek. Ouch.

Nour finds out in Paris that she is pregnant. Yay fertility treatments! But she wants to wait until she returns to Istanbul to tell Mohannad face to face. But in the meantime - Abdeen kidnaps her! Holy shit! Now she is tied up in a very nicely decorated cave in near "Paris" and has not moved since Abdeen strangled her in anger when she wouldn't profess her love to him or eat breakfast! Is she dead? Mohannad has flown to "Paris" and is running around the streets, showing pictures of his love to passerbys and exploring the mountains (you know, the mountains near "Paris").

Which brings me to a complaint: This is worst Paris ever. Either I'm misunderstanding, or Nour and Abdeen are supposed to be in Paris. In France. A France that is so Turkish it can't be anything but Turkey, and I've never even been. Everybody in "France" speaks Arabic (and I'm assuming Turkish in the orginal), though that can be forgiven because every American show does the same thing. But all of shop names are in Turkish. All of the people look Turkish. The grandmothers are muhajjiba, while if actually trying to be in Paris, a bunch of younger girls would be too. When Mohannad goes to the police station, not only is the sign "Police Station" in Turkish, but behind the officer there is a picture of Ataturk. What?

I keep thinking, maybe I've misunderstood. Maybe they're supposed to be in Turky now, and were planning to go to Paris later. But then Mohannad's mother in Istanbul wonders if perhaps there are just mechanical problems with Noor's plane and she'll be landing soon. And Mohannad's sister calls Paris to ask hotels and things if anyone has seen Nour and has to speak French, the only time anyone actually speaks French throughout the Paris ordeal. But come on, couldn't they have at least included a stock footage shot of the Eiffel Tower, or greenscreen a Parisien street in the background?

I'm guessing the budget for a Turkish muselel might not cover an actual jaunt to France, but all I'm asking for is a little effort. When Mohannad is asking obviously Turkish townspeople if they have seen Nour, couldn't they all be in berets? Or have one guy in the background carry a baguette?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think they were supposed to be in France---I think it's just a city in Southern Turkey because through out the episode Abdeen keeps talking about taking a helicopter TO Paris, and when they call ASeel, who is in Paris she says that she is expecting them to come soon (meaning that they couldn't have been there, already.)
Also, they keep saying they are in "capadocia", therefore I'm assuming they are not Paris, but a place in Turkey.

Orientalista said...

I always thought of helicopters for short distance travel, so I thought they were supposed to be outside of Paris or something, and wanted to take the helicopter there, but anyways I was proved completely wrong and I guess I never caught them saying capadocia.