I've been attending a workshop this week, and thus have not had the usual idle moments at work in which to jot a few thoughts about life and shit, as it is technically known. The workshop has been awesome, the Ministry of Information and UNFPA are conducting it for Syrian journalists.
It's convinced me that I could understand a college-level lecture in Arabic, which is exciting in itself. There are naturally some words I don't understand, but they are few enough I can jot them in a notebook for later, and do not affect my understanding the lecture.
It reminds me of going to a play within my first few months here, and my friends told me to jot down any words I didn't understand. 20 minutes in there were two words on the paper and the dude next to me asked if I understood the play. "No."
"Why didn't you write down words you didn't understand?"
"I don't understand enough to write down words!"
I can now write down words.
It's also exciting because the trainer isn't speaking Syrian, but what I think is part Palestinian (at least in pronounciation) and part Egyptian (there are quite a bit of Egyptian constructions). Of course, he also is speaking in times in fusha, though at this point I understand Syrian more easily than even fusha.
So yeah, sorry to brag but this is exciting for me. And at the end of the course I will get a certificate! Yes!
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's not bragging!! That's an accomplishment! Congratulations!
Good job! I remember when you'd be huddled in our closet in Hayden studying. Wait, you didn't take Arabic until the summer :) In any case, I know you've worked so hard at that!
Now come home!
Congradulations!
Post a Comment