Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Tunisian?

It's been a little strange coming back to Egypt, having forgotten most of my Egyptian. Well, not exactly forgotten, because I know what I'm supposed to say: mish instead of mu, delwaty instead of hala, etc, but when I speak naturally the Syrian comes out. I try in Egyptian and sound awkward.

Syrian is mostly understood, so often I say fuck it and speak in Shami. This leads people to think I'm Arab, usually Lebanese (with my coloring - none - Lebanese is the most likely). Everytime this happens I'm super excited.
Man: Are you Lebanese?
Me: No. Thank you!
Man: Thank you?

However, yesterday at the bank, getting dollars for the Nuweiba ferry, I was doing the transaction in Arabic when the teller switched to French. I told him it would be better if we continued in Arabic, since it's better than my French. "You're not Tunisian?" he asked. What?

I'm used to being mistaken for French. At al-Fishawy coffee house the other night, a couple asked me to take their picture in French, and I obliged, asking if they were French. No, Lebanese. I immediately switched to Arabic and was all "I live in Syria!" and they were all "We're in Damascus like every other week!" Awesome!

But Tunisian?

No comments: