My contact was bugging me last night but I was in Jerimana, far from my home and its contact solution. So I went to a pharmacy across the street from my friend's house and bought a tiny bottle, costing 125 lira. I had a 1,000 note and a 50. She didn't have change.
"Malish, hati al khamees hala' wa al-baqiyya ba'deen" (doesn't matter, give me the 50 now and the rest later).
I blinked. Later? I asked. Ya, she said, later. When you have the rest.
This is not my local pharmacy, my face is not known at this establishment, I don't even live in this neighborhood, and it was my first time in this pharmacy. But still, the trust!
I went back a few hours later when I had change.
Saturday, January 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
that is crazy. mad sham love indeed. my two weeks in syria (or was it ten days?) had a couple of incidents just like this one. and yet syria gets buried under a cloud of suspicion and fear in the US media.
Post a Comment