Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Towel of Shame

I brought shame upon myself, my family, and all those within a two meter radius last night.

Last week I had no water in my apartment so I went to a friends to shower. I forgot my towel. Last night I visited and was reminded about the forgotten towel. I left with the towel. It is purple and moderately fluffy.

I was walking with a friend. After a minute or so he realized what I was carrying. In my hand, in the street. In front of every body! He told me to hurry up and get a bag for it or something. Hide it away. Quickly!

"Why?" I asked innocently
"It's embarrassing for me."
"Why is it embarrassing?"
"It just it. I can't walk with you if you're going to be carrying that." He stopped and I kept walking. I ducked into a shop to buy something and when I came out he was angry.

"You're still carrying that?"
That's a yes.
"Put it in a bag or something."
"Tell me why."
"I told you. It's embarrassing."
"But why is it embarrassing? Are people going to think something? Are they going to say something?"
"It's not done! When was the last time you saw some one carry a towel in Syria? Have you every seen any one do that?"

I have to admit, I have not seen many Syrian walking around with towels. Then again, it's not like I saw many americans chilling with towels in the streets either. But if some one had reason to, why not? There are many explanations: I could be coming home after swimming. Or I could have an irrational fear of catching lice and thus insist on bringing my own towel when I go to a hair salon. Or I could have showered at a friend's house because I have no water - in Jaramana, where we have problems with the water, this is very likely. I mean, I've never seen anyone walking around Damascus with a ceiling fan but were I to see this I would think: oh, he probably just bought a ceiling fan. No shame whatsoever. And a ceiling fan is much more conspicuous and awkward to carry than a towel.

But my friend refused to walk within two meters of me as long as I carried that shameful, shameful towel. I still don't get it.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can think of many explanations (you look like a maid, you look like you just had sex), but the most likely among them is that your friend is a bit hyper-self-conscious. Like the world is interested in nothing else but him, and the most important thing in the world is the image he projects. It's a common affliction in the Sham.

Anonymous said...

hey I really love your blog, I click on it everyday. I read many things here where I thought that your friends are hyper sensitive but the "towel" story is by far my favourite. Tell your friend that he is "m3a2ad" and that he needs to get over all the perceived "3ayebs"!
Keep up the great work!

Mariyah said...

Oh, I laughed!! What a great post...I can completely see this happening. LOL!!

Wanderer said...

Oh man, that was just silly!

tsk tsk...

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if the same taboos apply, but I know that in Algeria, bathroom products are considered shameful. They are to be kept out of public view. Such items include towels, undergarments, wash cloths, etc. There are sexual and unclean things associated with them. (That's talking about village culture, though) That might not help explain why a Syrian would be so embarrassed, but there might be a common cultural thread.

Anonymous said...

oh maan, people are to damn crazy..

the other day a friend was asking me if it's shameful to walk in the street with wet her. "they told me it means that you've just had a shower after having sex." (might be the same case with the towel)
I was left speechless, I could never understand people here.. and I'm a Syrian!

cheers from a fellow Jaramanist... Jaramaneer? Jaramanian? ...Hobbit?

AC said...

hamle manshafe bel share3 w mashiye?...ya batel!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Buy lukol Visa/Mastercard/Amex/eCheck avandamet World shippind vermox Online clomid ED verapamil Generic epivir

Anonymous said...

What do you think about WIKILEAKS?
Hope for no silence

Anonymous said...

31221.....68798

Anonymous said...

[img]http://clououtlet.com/img/clououtlet.com.jpg[/img]

[b]Christian Louboutin[/b] is a French footwear author whose footwear has incorporated glassy, red-lacquered soles that include befit his signature.

Louboutin helped cause stilettos back into fashion in the 1990s and 2000s, sly dozens of styles with rogue heights of 120mm (4.72 inches) and higher. The deviser's self-styled goal has been to "write a lady look sexy, elegant, to gross her legs look as extensive as [he] can." While he does bid some lower-heeled styles, Louboutin is generally associated with his dressier evening-wear designs incorporating jeweled straps, bows, feathers, obvious leather, red soles and other almost identical decorative touches. He is most popularly known as a remedy for his red-bottom intoxicated heel shoes, commonly referred to as "sammy red-bottoms." Christian Louboutin's red-bottom colour cryptogram is registered as Pantone 18-663 TPX.

Consideration being known for his celebrity clients, he almost never gives shoes away – offering discounts preferably to his high-profile fans. This policy also extends to his critical household, because he feels that giving shoes away as gifts is unimaginative.

His pick biggest customer is Danielle Grit one's teeth, who is regarded to own across 6,000 pairs and is known to have purchased up 80 pairs at a lifetime when shopping at his stores.

(с) [url=http://clououtlet.com]Christian Louboutin[/url]

Anonymous said...

Видео ютуб улётное http://youtu.be/knL93B57iiI
Прикольное видео секс http://youtu.be/X2sdWXysJIc
[youtube]knL93B57iiI[/youtube]
[youtube]X2sdWXysJIc[/youtube]
video youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/aeytovaresch/
Вот ещё прикольное Видео
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEt0J13pHg

video Видео http://video.hobbyfm.ru/portal.php