Friday, July 6, 2007

Mo' Syria

I was notified today that I get a three-month language training grant, in addition to the nine-month research grant. A true year in Syria - 12 glorious months, and at first I have no responsibilities other than chatting up strangers, learning better curse words than are currently at my disposal, scandelizing the unfortunate family I rent a room from, and going to class. I have to be in-country, at my first day of class within 90 days, which is a perfect timeline. Just enough time to finish my summer internship, go to a friend's wedding, and perhaps even throw a bone to the 'rents and go back to Michigan before taking off.

Things are going so well I can't believe it. I feel so incredibly lucky that this shit I put together haphazardly (job, graduating, scholarship) is all working out - and perfectly. Now all I have to do is get the UNFPA on board with my project (a task whose deadline has now been extended three months). And get the visa.

How exactly does this Fulbright work once I'm there? Does any one check up on my research? Guide me, mentor me, etc? What do I do with the research when I'm done? No one's actually explained these details to me- I guess I'll see.

No comments: