Monday, May 5, 2008

We're in... AFRICA

Throughout the stay in Tunis, people were constantly remarking that though "technically" part of Africa, it sure didn't feel like Africa. I guess Tunis's wide, tree-lined Habib Bourguiba Avenue just doesn't feel like part of the dark continent, or perhaps it was the lack of colorful fabrics and kente cloth. It's like when I lived in Cairo, and the expats would always joke that we lived in Africa, but not REAL Africa.

I guess its strange because while no one ever says that Syria can't possibly really be in ASIA because of the lack of kabuki masks or rice patties, Africa just can't be Africa without conforming to what we feel it should look like. And it should not look like Tunisia. Though actually the word Africa comes from the Roman name for their province centered at Carthage (Tunis), Africanus Proconsularus.

It might stem from the practice of referring to Africa as a country, not a massive continent made up of many countries.

Then again, I do this too. I think I have only technically lived on four continents, since while Cairo and Damascus are on two different continents, I mean, come on, it's all the Arab world.

No comments: