Monday, November 19, 2007

Please Just Take the Money

Saturday I was again at Saida Zeinab teaching English, and during a short break during a marathon of children, I ran out to quiet my stomach. Walking down the street, I really felt like everyone was staring at me. The boys I had just taught were all smiles, yelling "Hello Teacher!", but so were the older boys (men), whose smiles were just a bit less innocent. I bought some bread at the bakery, where the man tried to give me the bread for free.
"It's on me"
"No, no I'd rather pay."
"It's on me. You can pay next time."
"I'm not going to be here for another week."
"It's all right."
"Please just take it." I held out the coin, and finally he asquiesed, looking defeated.

Then on the ride home I was a little late so I jumped in a cab instead of walking from the garage to Shariah Baghdad. The driver and I chatted, but at my stop he refused payment. I insisted, and he accepted.

Then I was waiting to meet my teacher, and stomach hungry once again, I bought some peanuts from a dude on the street. "How much do you want?" I asked (this actually sounds polite in Arabic).
"Whatever you would like."
"Um, I want the price?"
"On my head."
"It's 10 right?"
"Yes, 10." he took the coin.

Is this supposed to be come opportunity to flirt? Seriously, just take my money.

1 comment:

ratbert said...

hmm, it may well be flirtation, but i don't know if that is the whole explanation. when i visited syria some years ago i had a few situations when men wanted to be gallant and not take my money. in their eyes i think it was meant to show respect and hospitality. not to say it might not be more than that as well, but sometimes people are happy if they are allowed space to be generous.